This was meant to be a review of The Map of Time by
Felix J. Palma. This is not going to be a review of that book, because I did
not finish reading that book. I tried, but after 131 pages I could not finish
the over 600 pages.
The first 131 pages were difficult to read. The
story sounded interesting based on the inside cover blurb. The blurb did not
prepare me for the story. I tried to finish it, but I was not able to. It began
with a depressed character intending to commit suicide. Why you might ask? It
is because of a woman who was murdered eight years ago. It is an interesting
premise, but every time I started to lose myself in the novel something within
the actual writing style would jar me from the story. So I can't review
this.
It contained author intrusion, historical
characters and time travel. Note that this novel is actually original written
in Spanish, which may have contributed to my difficulty in reading it.
--If you pick up this book. You will meet Andrew with the first few pages. Andrew is the son of a well to do family who falls in love with a white chapel prostitute. He intends to end his life in the same place that his lady love lost hers. Thankfully he is interrupted.
--The novel contains many interesting and unique takes on things like time travel and the use of historical characters. For instance the reigning monarch at the time has a palace situated on and interdimensional plain.
The language is poetic, at times flowery and the the narrator is not in fact that any of the characters in the actual novel that I encountered, but a rather cheeky third person that seems to be observing and relating the details.
--Liese
No comments:
Post a Comment